DMXC 3.3.0 RC2: Enttec USB Pro not recognized

• Hello all,

I'm sorry to use "URGENT" tag in topic name but it's my situation ... I started to use DMX Control 3.3.0 RC2 with fantastic Timecode show and made a huge set for a show. The last show review live in theater is tomorrow.

I wanted to check everything today and a big bad surprise ... Initially I used DMX Control 3.2 on my laptop, everything was prepared on desktop with ArtNet and Capture 2024 to simulate.

But when I want to add my Enttech DMX USB Pro with 3.3.0 RC2, it's just not visible in DMX Interfaces. It works great with DMX Control 3.2 but not recognized in 3.3 !

I'm totally lost, my whole show is based on Timecode but without Enttech DMX output, it's just not possible.

I tried on my desktop computer and same issue, Enttech is just not visible.

With DMXControl 3.2:

With DMXControl 3.3 RC2:

• Hmmm ok, this is bad news. I don't know, if we have a final solution until tomorrow. BUT: Try the following as some kind of hack: Send Art-Net-Signals with DMXControl 3.3.0 to a second computer with DMXControl 3.2.3. There, just map DMX-In to DMX-Out with the direct mapping. You can find it in the settings of DMXControl 3.2.3 under "Current Project Settings" => DMX-In => DMX-Out. In addition, configure Art-Net as input in DMXControl 3.2.3 and your interface as output.

I hope, this will help you for the short term. For the long term, I wrote to the other developers internally so we will take a look, why this is not working.

• Hello...

we know already about that problem, that the Enttec USB Pro is not working currently with DMXControl 3.3.0. We have also a ticket in our bugtracker for it: FS#5259 : Enttec USB Pro DMX Interface wird nicht erkannt.

Unfortunately I just can ask you if you are maybe able to add the logfiles to that ticket to help to fix it for the final release. But a quick fix until tomorrow won't be possible - especially without having any detailed logfiles to follow up, where the problem is.

Maybe you can organise shortly a Art-Net oder sACN-Interface? I used Art-Net just last evening successfully in a bigger event.

Best regards - and sorry, that I can't provide any good news at the moment... Stefan.

• Hmmm ok, this is bad news. I don't know, if we have a final solution until tomorrow. BUT: Try the following as some kind of hack: Send Art-Net-Signals with DMXControl 3.3.0 to a second computer with DMXControl 3.2.3. There, just map DMX-In to DMX-Out with the direct mapping. You can find it in the settings of DMXControl 3.2.3 under "Current Project Settings" => DMX-In => DMX-Out. In addition, configure Art-Net as input in DMXControl 3.2.3 and your interface as output.

I hope, this will help you for the short term. For the long term, I wrote to the other developers internally so we will take a look, why this is not working.

Ok thanks, why not, it could save the deal ...

• LightningBrothers

Changed the title of the thread from “!URGENT! Totally lost with Enttech USB Pro not recognized by DMX Control 3.3.0 RC 2” to “DMXC 3.3.0 RC2: Enttech USB Pro not recognized”.
  • Not sure that log could help, it's attached to this post. EntTec plugin seems to be initialized ...

• I tried to "force" DMX Interface directly in DMXInterfaceMgmtConfig.xml file and obtain the following log error in Kernel:

Code
    20:16:38 ERROR AbstractDMXInterfaceManager - Error loading interface Enttec#02396007: Factory does not know this interface. Please check it is connected and working properly.

So it's not only an automatic search issue, even by forcing, same result.

I finally installed another software to create the link between DMXControl and my DMX USB: QLC+. DMXControl send by ArtNet and QLC+ make passthrough to Enttec ! Not sure that it's the best way but it does not require another computer and itomorrow is not the show date, tomorrow is "just" the last rehearsal. Show date is April, the 6th. I should receive an ArtNet to DMX box since the day ...

Many thanks for your help and don't hesitate if I can perfom some tests about Enttec DMX USB Pro.

• Freestyler DMX also comes with a dedicated ArtNet-DMX Bridge Tool, which might be more suitable, but if it works, it works.

• I finally switched to a Chauvet Art-Net to DMX node. Unfortunately, the theater technician did not gave me DMX mapping as soon as necessary and we will use Light Commander MA console ...

The theater technician said that my system was a "bad quality" system (initially Enttec USB DMX and now Chauvet Art-Net node) but never tell me what was considered as a professional one !

Does it mean all systems based on PC and DMX interfaces are bad ? What could be a "good" system ? Or is it only a bad thinking of theater technician ?!

• I finally switched to a Chauvet Art-Net to DMX node. Unfortunately, the theater technician did not gave me DMX mapping as soon as necessary and we will use Light Commander MA console ...

The theater technician said that my system was a "bad quality" system (initially Enttec USB DMX and now Chauvet Art-Net node) but never tell me what was considered as a professional one !

Does it mean all systems based on PC and DMX interfaces are bad ? What could be a "good" system ? Or is it only a bad thinking of theater technician ?!

Well with an PC you have additional sources of errors, driver errors, long boot up times (compared to an analog console like the Light Commander), but generally saying everything PC based it bad, is absolute nonsence. In fact, many permanent shows/art installations (that run basically automatically), use MAonPC.

While Chauvet has a reputation of beeing a hit-or-miss, I havent heard to bad of their ArtNet nodes.

He might be thinking you're using the Entec Open DMX, which is unbuffered and can introduce problems. However you dont really have these issues with the Entec Pro or ArtNet.

I'd reccomend you try talking to him again, and asking for specific reasons.

• Does it mean all systems based on PC and DMX interfaces are bad ? What could be a "good" system ? Or is it only a bad thinking of theater technician ?!

Well, I would say: The theater technician is biased. Yes, DMXControl is not "the industry standard" like a GrandMA console. And of course, the main targets for DMXControl 3 are not large venues. However, it is capable of driving even bigger events in event halls with 50 - 150 Devices (I've done it several times with DMXControl 3, even with beta versions of DMXControl 3.3.0). In addition, those consoles like the GrandMA a) also have their limitations / bugs and b) even MA has a PC system (like showtechniker already mentioned) ;)

In addition to showtechniker 's suggestion, I would try to ask him for an opportunity to show him the abilities of a system like DMXControl 3. With his light commander, he may have many faders, can generate sequences with 99 scenes have executors and a DMX-channel based approach. However, with DMXControl 3 you have a parameter based approach, which is much easier, a powerful effect engine and (with DMXControl 3.3.0 RC2) features like executors and a powerful master system, with which you can live manipulate scenes and fannings. So although DMXControl 3 is not an industry standard, it has many good features to get your show done.

• Does it mean all systems based on PC and DMX interfaces are bad ? What could be a "good" system ? Or is it only a bad thinking of theater technician ?!

In addition to showtechniker 's suggestion, I would try to ask him for an opportunity to show him the abilities of a system like DMXControl 3. With his light commander, he may have many faders, can generate sequences with 99 scenes have executors and a DMX-channel based approach. However, with DMXControl 3 you have a parameter based approach, which is much easier, a powerful effect engine and (with DMXControl 3.3.0 RC2) features like executors and a powerful master system, with which you can live manipulate scenes and fannings. So although DMXControl 3 is not an industry standard, it has many good features to get your show done.

And I dont think the Lightcommander has timecode either 🙃

Showing what your system can do is definitely a good idea.