Installing 3.2 and 3.3 concurrently

• Hi guys,

Is it possible to install DMXC3.3 alongside DMXC3.2 on the same computer, so I can continue to use 3.2 for shows until a stable version of 3.3 is released, but am able to test out 3.3 when I'm not doing real shows? (I don't need to run both versions at the same time).

I specified a different folder to install 3.3 into, but I'm only able to launch 3.3 from the Start menu - 3.2 has disappeared.

All the best,

Phil

• Dear, on my side, DMX Control 3.2 is always there with DMX Control 3.3. In start menu, I have "DMXControl 3" and "DMXControl 3.3.0" by pressing start menu key and typing "DMXC".

The only question I have is about the user data folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DMXControl Projects e.V\DMXControl) which is the same for both releases.

But I did not face any issue by using both.

• Hey Phil,

yes... that's possible. Following steps are to do:

• Install both DMXC versions in folders, for example
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\DMXControl Projects\DMXControl 3.2.3
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\DMXControl Projects\DMXControl 3.3.0 RC
    • Specify while running the installer, that a separate folder will be created in the start menu. Otherwise go to the start menu folder afterwards and split the program links in to different folders
    • I recommend to add an environment variable, that all program settings and project data are handled also separate. The instructions in English you can find in our Did you know? #19 - An environment variable for your profile directory. Meanwhile added information you get in our Wiki article Systemkonfiguration (currently only in German).

I hope, it works the same way like on my computers. If you have further questions, please ask.

Stefan

• Hi,

yes, this is possible. As you can see in the image below I have DMXControl 3.2.3 and DMXControl 3.3.0 parallel on my PC. The installer however is already changed so it keeps only one version in the start menu. One trick is to rename the shortcut to DMXControl 3.3.0 in the start menu first (by right click on it and find it under "more"=>"open in filesystem" (in my screenshot you can see, where to find them beside the fact, that they are in German).

After that, just reinstall DMXControl 3.2.3 over your existing one (but backup the DMXC 3.2.3 folder before). Then the links should be recreated. I have only the shortcut to start GUI and Kernel together and removed the other ones because I don't need them.

However, there is a catch: Both versions would use the same application settings folder. While this can work fine, it is better to separate them. You can separate them by specifying an Environment Variable in Windows. The necessary ones you can find in the following (unfortunately only in German available) article: https://wiki-de.dmxcontrol-pro…n_DMXC3#Umgebungsvariable. But the table should help to show you the name of the variable. Then in your system, you only need to specify the respective Environment Variable and add there the path to the folder, where the settings should reside. With this little extra step (which is planed that the installer will do this automatically) you can separate the settings of DMXControl 3.2.3 and 3.3.0.

I hope, this will help you.

All the best,

JP

P.S.: ok, I was not informed, that Stefan already posted his solution :saint: