Cannot understand howto use MIDI encoders

• Hello all,

I would like to use MIDI encoder of my MIDI controller but not sure to understand howto do ...

My MIDI encoder send one message for clockwise, another for counter clockwise. About MIDI mapping, it seems to be ok with the learn mode, both values are recorded.

But when I want to use my MIDI input with the Input Assignment, I don't know howto link it.

Example: I would like to link my MIDI encoder to ParameterMaster 1.

My MIDI encoder only send 1 or 0 but howto "convert" it to manage adding or substracting value to ParameterMaster 1 ?

Thanks

• Hi,

there is the counter node which can help you doing that. Just add this node and two additional binary-switcher nodes. The first has an "On"-value of "True" and an empty "Off"-Value. The second switcher has an empty "On"-value is empty and the "Off"-Value is "True". Now connect their output to the increment and decrement inputs of the counter node. In addition, you need to set the step size in the counter node. Then this should work. Does this helps?

JP

• Thanks for this feedback. I tried the following:

• Encoder 1 is my MIDI encoder input: when I go clockwise, value is 1, when I go counterclockwise, value is 0
    • the first Binary switcher is activated on clockwise move (On value set to True, Off value set to empty)
    • the second is activated on counterclockwise move (On value set to empty, Off value set to True)
    • Counter node increment and decrement steps are 1

If I move clockwise, the first Binary switcher is activated:

and the value of the counter node goes to 51.

But if I go clockwise another time, the counter value is always 51.

If I go counterclockwise, the counter value goes back to 50 but after that move, my MIDI encoder has no more effects. Binary switchers works, if I go clockwise, the first one is activated and send True to Increment, if I go counterclockwise, the second one send True to Decrement but the counter value is stucked at 50.

Remark: I think the main issue is that only the change from clockwise to counterclockwise is triggered by the Encoder box. I mean at start, if I go clockwise, an event is triggered, if I go another time clockwise, nothing happens, if I go counterclockwise, an event is triggered, if I go another time counterclockwise, nothing happens ...

• I have a question after rechecking it with my MIDI board. Did you actually add the encoder as an encoder control in the MIDI management in DMXControl 3? This should already do the increment / decrement of its value. The knob / encoder on my Native Instruments F1 works as expected after I set it to relative mode and learned it as an encoder control in DMXControl 3. Even with this setting, a turn in one direction increases the encoder value by 0.01 and a turn in the other direction reduces it (while staying in the range between 0 and 1). So maybe your MIDI setting in DMXControl 3 needs to be changed.

• I have a question after rechecking it with my MIDI board. Did you actually add the encoder as an encoder control in the MIDI management in DMXControl 3? This should already do the increment / decrement of its value. The knob / encoder on my Native Instruments F1 works as expected after I set it to relative mode and learned it as an encoder control in DMXControl 3. Even with this setting, a turn in one direction increases the encoder value by 0.01 and a turn in the other direction reduces it (while staying in the range between 0 and 1). So maybe your MIDI setting in DMXControl 3 needs to be changed.

Dear JPK , many thanks, I did not understood that encoders steps settings were in MIDI settings. I added my controller as encoder, right, but with Increment set to 1. But if I'm not misunderstanding, encoder values are always 0 for low and 1 for high. So, by using an increment of 0.01 for example, it works perfectly.

My initial thinking was that encoder values had to be managed in input assignment because encoder node was only sending 1 or 0 !

So, many thanks for this help.

• No problem and it is nice that it now works all fine :) Well, the settings for MIDI are currently a little bit confusing in DMXControl 3 and not totally fitting the overall style and handling :saint: This is due to the fact, that we just integrated a former plugin made to use MIDI in DMXControl 3. We will address this in future versions of DMXControl 3.

As a small addition: The default settings for low and high are as you said. But you are free to change them as you needed so you could also set the high value to 100 or so in the MIDI setting of this control. But the rest of the input assignment usually works in the rage of 0 to 1 for such float values. So you would need to convert the value anyways.