Posts by Stagemanager75

I also use DMXC on a Mac, but with Parallels.
    I really like it, because you can play some Music with iTunes on Mac, and you can easily switch to DMXC on Windows to control your lights.

as far as I know, Itunes runs on Windows as well... (there might be more relevant reasons for using a MAC :-) )

Can you influence the switching of the scenes?

DMXC can record DMX Information - cue by cue, not in realtime.
    You need a DMXC Interface with DMX in.
    You have to define a specific device for each channel your sculpture uses. You can use several "general - dimmer" or make your own ddf that contains the number of dimmer channels / switch channels your sculputre needs. First solution is quicker, second solution helps you by keeping your device list clean.
    Make a 1:1 Patch in DMX-IN-Window, check if DMX in is really working.
    Connect your current controller to DMX in of your interface, Connect DMX out of your interface to your sculpture.
    Depending on the interface, you probably have to set up that incoming DMX is routed to PC and PC is routed to Outgoing. How it is done with the Enttec, I don't know.
    For each scene your controller sends, you have to record this scene and save it. Best would be, to record it directly as "simple scenes" into an effect.
    The blend- and hold times, you have to re-programm in DMXC. If you have access to the "source code" of the show replayed, it should be easier to recognize how many steps this effect has and how timing is. Probably this helps as well to "step thru" the effect.

Probably not what you looked for, but a way...

Edith: I was wrong! There is a plugin available that records DMX Data in DMXC in realtime.
    http://www.dmxcontrol.de/wiki/DMXCRecorder_Plugin_DMXC2
    But it's warned: "It is a prototype that can have some bugs"....
    I did not work with that, but probably there are some threads here around.

[...]Once I have programmed the scene list and run it through a few times... I go back and rename every cue with a sequential number and write these in a fresh script for the lighting op[...]

I do not argue about the fact that any new function would be nice.
    I think we both have a basically different way to work on a production. Probably, to choose numbering after the light is ready is useful if you are "on your own". I learned parallel working in an opera house where each department (caller "Inspizient", Light caller "Korrepetitor", Sound, Flydeck...) used their own lists, but all referred to the same cue numbering. So there was no way that one department would say "I renumbered all my cues / scenes" after the "Generalprobe" (Dress rehearsal? Final rehearsal prior to opening).
    I do not want to say that a re-numbering or a "add an increasing number to all scene names in this list" would not be helpful to some users, but I personnaly would never use this function.

As I am used to numeric cue system, I missed this as well.
    But why not using numbers as scene mames?
    I made me a personal system that uses script scene number and a running number to identify each scene.
    0320 would be the second cue in scene 3 (I assume you know the system to use steps of ten for first programming to keep numbers in between as spares.)
    I use dotted numbers only for scenes in effects (so 0330.04 would be the 4th step in a flashlight simulation in cue 0330)
    I love my paper script, mainly as I have to refer to page numbers in written scripts (as the director and actors have) and/or use a musical score to call which is not supported by "Textbuch" in DMXC. Thus, a new cue would not force me to rename and rewrite all the others (pencil rules good script work!).

Of course I have to organize my cue numbers myself, but I do not think that there would be a pre-programmed solution enough flexible to meet the needs of those using DMXC with "traditional" cue numbering (and each and every one uses different systems, even from production to production). But using numbers frees me from thinking about understandable, unique scene names that should not be too long as well. I might add a small hint ("Blackout" or "Video 3 start") to inform me what I expect to happen in this cue.

[...] if you are on scene 8 can you go back to scene 6 and continue from there. when I double click on a previous scene it loads it but does not reset.

What do you mean by "reset"?
    Normally, if you manually choose a scene, the "scene.next" Command then brings up the scene following that you chose manually.
    Or how do you address the scenes in your midi config?

Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply, I have now got midi working, it was just a case of getting all the settings right. I am using LoopBe1 internal midi software on My XP laptop

Does it mean that your DMXC-Midi-Issue is solved?

Is it possible to make the security code images a bit easier to read on this forum as it always take me 5-6 tries before it will accept it

Why not subscribe as a full forum member? There is no need to read captchas as a regular member.

Before we start here with those simple "did you plug the right plug"-questions:
    What Did you already setup in DMXC in order it reacts on midi commands?
    Did you assign DMXC-Commands to Midi events (Menue "Settings", "Midi remote control..."? Did you activate MIDI-Input (Menue "Window", "Midi remote control"). Take care this window keeps open.
    What do you expect DMXC to do via midi-commands? (activate and deactivate effects, proceed in a scene list, use velocity values as dim-values...)
    Pobably you can make screenshots of the midi-setup window.
    There are plenty of people around here in the forum who use midi commands (sent from a keyboard or another midi controller) to activate and de-activate effects, proceed in scene lists ... So I'm quite sure, you'll get your system running quite soon!

Do you have midi-ox installed? I do not know how good cubase's midi-analysis functions are. As I do not have, I used midi-ox to analyze what happens.

AFAIK, in DMXC 2.0.X, there is no way to export /import single scenes or effects from one show to another. (Except to send DMX / Artnet Scene from one DMXC to another - but all programming, naming, generating effects, fadetimes... have to be transferred manually)

This is a feature that was requested quite often, but as far as my knowledge (by reading the forum) goes, this will not be avaliable on time for your gig.

Stagemanager75, how did the audio file trigger the video?

Joe Dunfee

I use MediaCenter / MediaServer of DE.

To prepare such a scene, I made an effect "PrepareTrackXXX" that
    0. does nothing for 2 secons
    1. Loads the Audiotrack (be it silent or with sound) Audiotrack - MYTRACK - Choose / Auswählen
    2. Sends the command to the MediaCenter to load the video/image/PPT.

This should be done some seconds before you need the cue - DMXC takes some time to load audio tracks and MC has to load the whole video file into memory - especially with PPT, this can take some long seconds if you need the track and it is not preloaded and the director jumps around in the script during rehearsals :D
    I place the "Effect", "PrepareTrackXXX", "Start" shortly before the end of the previous audiotrack, so DMC does all the preparation without my need to keep it in mind. I do not assume that your audio/video/ppt cues follow each other in less than 4 seconds.

I made me a set of single-run effects that deal with the MediaCenter, so I can just start an effect to send commands and not care about first setting the parameter and then sending the "execute" to MediaCenter and then resetting the channels to be prepared for the next command - so whenever I refer to a command to MediaCenter, I use these effects.

In the audiotrack (right at the beginning) I placed
    "Effects" "myEffectToMakeMCPlay" "Start"
    so as soon the Audiotrack is running, the Video starts as well.

I know there is a delay, but this remains stable so I can deal with it by placing the cues.

Now it is up to you: If there is Audio which really needs to be synchronized to video, it should be integrated in the video footage and played by MediaServer, so DMXC contains a silent track of same length. There could be small jitter in the start of lighting scenes (but if dimming is ~1 s, nobody will see this)
    For PPT or if there is no 1/10 s precision needed, I would do it the other way round: One audiotrack that is played by DMXC. This track contains the commands to change the PPT Slides.

Of course you could think of using several Video Files during one audiotrack or to change the audio track in DMXC while the video is playing - MediaCenter is running independentliy from DMXC. But for ease of use I suggest that each video/ppt has its "own" audiotrack (be it silent or audible) in DMXC.

Following hints:

I recently used some video sequences and wanted to place light change cues precisely. I used the audioplayer with an empty sound file of appropriate length. The soundfile itself then started the playback of the video and both where in sync enough for precise light cues for a duration of up to 2 minutes.
    On a timeline, you can adjust cues quite more easy than in an effect. In an audiotrack, position is "absolute", so the cue you change does not influence the following cue. In an effect, each change of dim- or hold-time of a cue lets all following cues come earlier or later according to the change in time - not very funny if you have some cues that must not be changed but others have to.

I would suggest that you do all light changes that should "survive" in the scene list. You can call a "Scenelist" "Current" "GO" as a command from all other tools - as well out of an effect or audio track. So your scene changes are started without you pressing buttons. Perhaps you should mark those Scenes that are "GO"-ed by the software with a special prefix, so you will know later on, that this is Scene is called automated.

I use light changes in effects only in case, it is really an effect (burning fire, flashlight simulation) or if a quick sequence of commands needs to be fired (e.g. loading of MediaCenter content).

The screenshot of the keyboard assignment showed it-the commands are not complete. There must be one entry in each column.

For your application, that would be:

Key G "Scenelist" "Current" "GO" which starts the transition to the next cue.
    This assumes that you loaded the correct list and started it. Otherwise it does nothing.

You can load and activate by another command:
    Key ___ "Scenelist" "NAME OF YOUR SCENE" (should be present in the dropdown list) "Start"
    (I am not sure whether it starts then at the first scene or if it starts with that entry that was highlightet just before).

In doubt, you can use an effect with following sequence of commands (a single run effect)
    "Scenelist" "YOUR SCENE" "Auswählen /Choose"
    "Scenelist" "Ausgewählte / Chosen", "Start"

You can activate this effect by a keystroke too:
    Key __ "Effects" "Name of this effect" "Start"

For your second PC issue:
    I would strongly recommend to use a separate PC for Beamer application. You can get nice second hand PC for quite small ammount of money (a legal XP licence is quite equal in price). I use several DELL Optiplex 240/260 (small form factor).
    The PC needs Powerpoint and MediaServer installed (with a start-Batch-file). To ease your work, I would suggest you place MediaCenter on your control PC and MediaServer on your Beamer-PC on the same location relative to root. I have mine on C:\Mediacenter. On the remote PC, this folder is made accessible via network. Both (local and remote) contain folder with the footage. It is up to you how you keep them synchronized. As the paths to your footage are the same locally as remote, it will be an ease, to setup the sequences as you preferred it.

With MediaCenter and PPT, I always wonder if I have to transfer a PPT or a PPS file. I am indeed shure that you need a full version of Powerpoint on the MediaServer because the PPT-Viewer does not support the remote control from another application (e.g. MediaServer).

Separate PC gives you full guarantee, that in doubt (connection lost...) the screen behind you never shows your OSs Wallpaper or other nasty things.

Sound contained in footage is using the remote PCs soundcard for playout - probably you have to mix this signal with the playout of your control PC (if you use Audiotracks in DMXC.

BTW: I like your Idea of how using DMXC - probably you could provide some photographs or even video when you have it up and running. I wrote when - I have no doubt you manage to do it in some way!

Long form:

You can add a "Command" with "Audiotrack" "Name of the audiotrack" "Start".
    I suggest you to add some seconds before you really need a command "Audiotrack" "Name of the audiotrack" "Choose" which makes DMXC load the track and the audio file without playing. The "start" command will then have effect at once - otherwise you wait for audio material to be loaded.

The command tool is one of the real great things in DMXControl, especially for Musical/Theater type of events. One main Scene list and all complicated stuff can work in background in audio tracks and effects.

Markus M. Ich möchte Dir nicht ins Gehege kommen, aber die englische WIKI schweigt sich da noch etwas aus, daher halte ich eine ausführlichere Antwort für angemessen.