Posts by tharris

I'm sort of somewhere... I dont know why cue 2 stopped working after copying, but I deleted it, and copied cue 4 in its place and its is working now.

I've disabled tracking and I think I'm somewhere near having a workable replacement to "save all" from DMX 2.

I understand Stage View just shows DMX output (and programmer)- but obviously that is what I use to programme and set cues so thats my main view.

The only bit I need to get my head around...

So say I programme 20 cues for the show and want to just run back through them...

1. In between programming them, as long as I dont then run an cues I dont need to clear the programmer do i? Clearing that after every cue seems quite a chore.

2. I DO need to clear the programmer before I run the cue list to test, and I also need to clear it after I've run the cue list before I start programming more cues in again... but then I dont need to clear it again until I want to run the cue list again?

3. If when I programme a cue in, with tracking turned off, when i run a cue it will turn everything thats currently on off, and turn on only what's programmed?

Thank you - but I still dont understand why cue 2 disappears when I copy paste - but if I load in programmer it says the lights should be on? What am I not getting?

JPK  JohannesStroe

Thank you for your detailed responses, this is a massive learning curve - I'm starting to worry again I'm not ready for it.

So, if I understood correctly:

Copying a cue is must easier than DMX2, I can literally just copy and paste it from a cue list without even loading it.

Editing a cue, I load it in to the progammer (and this will then show it in Stage View?) and I can edit it from there and then save?

UPDATE:
    I'm wondering if my install is corrupted somehow?!
    I've just tried to copy and paste as you suggested - something really odd happens...
    I've recreated cue 1 and 2, the same as above, from scratch. Cleared programmer after each one (not sure why this isn't cleared by default).
    I then copy and paste cue 1 =>3, cue 2=>4.

Before i copy cue 1 and 2 work fine, after I copy, cue 1, 3 and 4 are now working as expected, cue 2 doesn't work anymore and no values change when I run the cuelist. I've loaded cue 2 in to the programmer and it appears to how the three light values on the right at 100%...

I feel like I've got so close, but I'm still not there

LightningBrothers Okay, so I've cleared the programmer, but I still dont really understand...

Clearing it works, for those two cues, so thats all fine. But now I want to make a Cue 3 and Cue 4 (Cue 3 the same as Cue 1, Cue 4 the same as Cue 2). In DMX 2 I would load Cue 1, then save all and that would become Cue 3, then I would load Cue 2, save all, and that would be Cue 4 - job done.

I've tried to do the same in DMX 3 but it saves no values at all. Stage View still shows the lights on, but nothing it saved... what am I missing.

So I have to clear the programmer each time? Will clearing the programmer not clear the values in stage view as obviously I'll want to keep building the lights based on what the previous queue was?

LightningBrothers - are you about. I've programmed all my lights in, and went to the theatre today with the aim of changing to DMX3 but I have massive issues. I;ve filmed them, can I send you the video so you can see the issue?

Hi,

I am biting the bullet and giving DMX 3 a try. I am currently trying to recreate all my DDF's, but struggling. I thought I had it sorted, but I can't seem to find a replacement for a "Button".

I've tried using a Raw Step as I though that may do it, but the raw step doesnt seem to output anyway.

Attached below.

Scott

Files

• DDF.zip

(1.65 kB, downloaded 15 times, last: )

LightningBrothers

I've just had a play around as your suggested with Stage View - I think I'm getting it, although being totally honest I'm still not 100% sure. I'm am however now struggling with jumping between queues too.

In DMX Control 2, if the operator makes a mistake, or needs to jump in on Cue 3, they can by double clicking it, and continuing the play list... is that also no longer supported? It says "editor: Cuelist" which suggests maybe it's a different screen to run the show with, but when I tried to assign a cuelist to Executor that didnt seem to be right.

Qasi This is what I need, does tracking solve this (I have copied this from the DMX Control Manual - so clearly a lot of users did need this in V2)

Die Auswahl sollte wohlüberlegt sein. Wenn mehrere Szenen gleichzeitig ablaufen sollen, dürfen Kanäle nur in maximal einer der entsprechenden Szenen ausgewählt sein. Auf der anderen Seite sollte für Theateranwendungen möglichst alle Dimmerkanäle gespeichert werden, damit jede Szene zu jedem Zeitpunkt unabhängig von allen anderen Szenen gestartet werden kann und sich somit immer das selbe Szenenbild ergibt. Hierfür ist die Funktion [Alle Speichern (nicht empfohlen].

JohannesStroe - not really sure the points your making. I'm telling you what I do, you saying you don't doesn't solve my issue in any way? Saying I have the problem again doesnt solve the issue, unless you tell me how you would deal with the specific issue I've mentioned.

LightningBrothers Thank you for your explanation - its helpful and I think it potentially solves my issue. So if I turn tracking off, then DMX Control will assume every value is 0, unless when I save the cue, the light is on, in which case it stores that value.

So in my example, in a very basic way, if I have:

Cue 1: Lights, 2, 3 and 7 on

Cue 2: Lights 2, 3 and 8 on

Cue 3: Lights 1, 3 and 7 on

The without tracking, DMX Control will still send a signal to light/channel 3 every time to tell it to stay on? It won't just ignore channel 3 as it doesnt change? If thats the case, that solves my issue. If it isn't, won't I still have the problem that if I need to change Cue 2, and remove Light 3, then when it saved it will have only saved the changes between cue 1 and cue 2, so therefore it wont tell 3 to turn off.

Qasi Thank you as above... I think tracking may be the thing I've missed previously :)

Qasi Why what?

I think I've explained above why I really need the feature, which bit haven't I explained properly?

"So we need a save all as if I programme a whole show, then want to change or edit lights (speaking from DMX 2) if I didnt save all, then because it only saved changes, if I edited a cue, the next cue would realise and would only change values based on the original value. So for example I programme a light at 50% for cue 1,2 and 3 originally. I decide actually on cue 2 I need it on 100%. When I then go to cue 3, as originally there was no change, it doesnt change it as its expecting it to still be 50%"

Hi Stefan Krupop

That is exactly right. I'm suprised it isn't a feature that included - I dont know it would take a huge amount to add this as an option, and I really dont understand how people cope without it - I know I cant upgrade to Version 3 without.

Who would be a good person to talk to to suggest this - I'm hoping it isn't something that would require much additional work,

Scott

Soon5

So if I make this change in the GuiConfig.xml it will "Save All" by default?

Then I assume I would just have to change this file each time I update,

Scott :)

Qasi - so i've tried pressing shift and it adds the cue straight away rather than load the options page. Does that means it is saving every value? So if I have 300 channels in my setup, it will save all 300 every time, regardless of whether they change of not?

That's perfect if it does :)

Sorry for the delay in reply.

So we need a save all as if I programme a whole show, then want to change or edit lights (speaking from DMX 2) if I didnt save all, then because it only saved changes, if I edited a cue, the next cue would realise and would only change values based on the original value. So for example I programme a light at 50% for cue 1,2 and 3 originally. I decide actually on cue 2 I need it on 100%. When I then go to cue 3, as originally there was no change, it doesnt change it as its expecting it to still be 50%

Hi,

I've been using DMX Control v2 for well over 10 years and love it, but I have come to the sad realisation I need to move on to v3, and relearn it, to hopefully see long term future benefits.

One sticking point I am currently having though is I cannot find the "Save All" equivalent when adding a cue. I quote often edit and update lighting as I run shows, and in v2 within two runs the cues wern't usable after two runs as it only saved and sent the difference between cues by default, so when something changed, other cues didnt know. I therefore need to be able to save every value, every time. How is this possible in v3.2 please? As I say, when I go to save, it seems to details to only saving those values I have changed - and I can't see a save all option.

Scott