Pixel mapping abilities?

• I came to the forum today to ask if there was going to be pixel mapping added to DMXC 2.13, or future releases, and was ecstatic to discover DMXC 3 B6!

I'm installing it now, and extremely eager to experiment with it, particularly since it has the Lesson 23 in the tutorial! The matrix! It will likely be at least a few days before I can post back on the results, but I just wanted to say thanks!

Veilen Danke!! Zehr tohl und diese ist das besten programme! (Entschuldigun fur meine schlechte Deutsche, ich hab es nie fur zehn jahre gesprochen...) :thumbup:

• Hi and welcome!

When I understood it right, the matrix things in DMXC3 will be fantastic. But they are not completely implemented. Because of a lot private things, our main developers actually have nearly no time to do bigger things. So it will take some time until the final version 3.0 will be published. And a lot of the matrix things will be done in further versions (3.x).

Hoc

Mein Equipment:
    1x Hirn | 2x Augen (leicht defekt) |2x Ohren | 1x Mund |32x Zahn (zum Teil V1.5) | 1x Handundfuß-Interface

*SCNR*

• Hoc,

Thanks for the reply. I've spent the last few days learning about the program, and playing with it, and I must say I'm so excited for the final release!

The matrix feature is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the final polished version of it. But might I suggest the option of assigning positions to each pixel in the matrix? For instance, I use almost exclusively RGB par cans, primarily SlimPar's, ColorRail's and a few older LEDRain's (all by Chauvet) as well. They are positioned around the room, on the truss and some DMX controlled LED strip lights in the truss and under the tables.

I admit I may be missing something with this, but the only way that I could figure out how to get the matrix to display the colors properly as they spread across the lights was to set up a large grid, and individually assign each pixel to the location of the light throughout the room. Please see the attached .jpg file as a screenshot of the setup. There is a fair amount of time in doing this, and while it was very functional, I wonder if being able to assign positioning, or signal delay, something along those lines might be better or more efficient? If not, or if the programming of it would be too challenging/drastic, then this system does work fine, it just takes some figuring and planning.

But between the ability of the Matrix, and the ability to group lights together, DMXControl 3 will save me literally hundreds of hours of programming time! Way to go!

On a side note, and there is something that feels a bit off with the new color picker. There's no way to choose black, or effectively/easily turn off the light once you've assigned it a color. I can see the benefit of having a dimmer through the program for even simple 3 channel RGB fixtures, but I very quickly got used to being able to simply click a light, select it's color, and move to the next. Is the only way to turn that RGB fixture off going to be to set it's dimmer back to 0? That will be easy enough get used to, and will still save a huge amount of time compared to selecting and changing the values of each R, G, B to 0. But perhaps if there were a keyboard shortcut, so you could select the light, and press a key, say X, for instance, and have it change the values of the selected lights back to blackout?

Hmm that just gave me a thought, on the same note, would it be possible to have keyboard shortcuts that are assignable, to provide a specific color? So using the mouse to select the fixtures to change, and then assigning X for blackout, and R for red, B for blue, G for green, C for cyan, y for Yellow, etc... even being able to assign custom specific colors by number perhaps? IE 1 sets colors to r-100 g-230 b-75, and 2 sets them to r-xxx g-xxx b-xxx, whatever colors are chosen by the user?

Anyway still playing with it and learning, but just some thoughts that might possibly make it's use even easier! Thanks again guys! You all rock and have provided an awesome and invaluable program!

• Oh, and one more thing, while I was able to get to test the matrix out via the ArtNet transfer to a second computer, I'm not sure if this is simply a flaw of the ArtNet, the ultraDMX converter, or perhaps even a flaw with DMXControl 2.12, but if I assign colors using the Matrix Control, the colors transfer through DMXC 2.12 to the lights just fine, that was awesome too! I can use the individual fixture selections or group selections and that works as well. The problem I ran into was when I tried to use the Matrix Effects, it seemed like DMXC 2.12 was receiving the new signals, (in the stage view it was changing values) but the lights would no longer respond. I also got an error in DMXC 2.12 one of the times, but DMXC 3 seemed to be running just fine..

• Hi,

Is the only way to turn that RGB fixture off going to be to set it's dimmer back to 0?

there are the "Lumos" and "Nox"-Buttons, in the "Intensity"-panel to set the Dimmer fast and easy to full or to zero. This panel is in the bottom left corner of the DMXC 3 window. With it, you can also handle some basic functions like dimmer, strobe and shutter of each selected device very easy.

An other function would be the highlight-function. You can find it in the left menu-bar. If all dimmers are at 0, the function activates only the the lamps, whitch are selected in stage view. But this function doesn't display the selected color yet. So I wrote a feature request in our bugtracking system (FS#1967) ;).

I also got an error in DMXC 2.12 one of the times

Which error was it? Can you just search for the "DMXControl.EPT" file in the DMXC 2 directory, copy it, change the name of the copy to "DMXControl_error.txt" and post it here? Then maybe Stefan can find this bug.
    Regards
    JP

• Which error was it? Can you just search for the "DMXControl.EPT" file in the DMXC 2 directory, copy it, change the name of the copy to "DMXControl_error.txt" and post it here? Then maybe Stefan can find this bug.
    Regards
    JP

I wish I'd seen this before, the forum never sent me an email that there was a response.. I've actually wiped the drive and reinstalled everything, due to an issue with a different program.. I never got the error code again though, but that's likely because I was able to get DMX3 to talk with my adapter, instead of going through a second computer to use DMX2.12 to control the lights.. I was so happy to figure that out!

I'll try to make some time to set them both up though, and feed the signals through 2.12, see if perhaps I can get the error again so I can post it.

On a different note, (and this may need a post of it's own) are there plans for programming based off sound files like in DMX2? That's one of the features that I use a lot for programming to music, and would love to have continued in DMX3..

• Hi,

On a different note, (and this may need a post of it's own) are there plans for programming based off sound files like in DMX2? That's one of the features that I use a lot for programming to music, and would love to have continued in DMX3..

there are plans to replace the DMXControl 2 series with DMXControl 3 in the future. But this will only be done, when nearly all functions of DMXC 2 are integrated in DMXC 3. So there will be a function like the audio player (maybe in a slightly different form) in a futureversion of DMXControl 3. But I don't know, when this integration will be happen.
    Regards
    JP

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.