Wireless Dmx?

• Anybody using Wireless? & what do you think using it, Pros & Cons & anything else about it or any good links about it?

If Yes, Did you have any Problems w using it? & would you do it again?

If No, but thinking about it & what's your biggest worry about using it , Cost?

I guess I have been looking at it for a long time but I just don't know about all the other wireless out their in the Air & everybody else in the bands & everybody's using wireless & if causing interface problems!!!!!!!!!!!

The DMX lighting people are not jumping into it yet?

I been looking at this one, China & it has a lot of options (Front & back View & it comes w the both the Transmitter & Receiver)

2016- Edited out this Old Pic & Added the new one & this is the one I use (A bunch of Them)

• hi,
    I'm personally wary of such offers from China, especially if you already write:

I guess I have been looking at it for a long time but I just don't know about all the other wireless out their in the Air & everybody else in the bands & everybody's using wireless & if causing interface problems!!!!!!!!!!!

Since most the China devices are more fault susceptible, I would prefer
    something more professional. I bought the wireless DMX system of
    Codem, and I am very satisfied with it.
    However, the system has had its price.

Transceiver about 490 Euro
    Receiver about 190 Euro

Regards Uwe

• China

I know & this is a huge factor in reliability

can I trust it? it would be a huge factor now & if it does not work nothing will work LOL :argh: & every show I would be thinking will it still work? if I did buy a china one I would have to take it apart & check every solder joint & it would be a huge trust factor & I would be saving a lot now & would I get Burned later I would always be thinking this & their no support from China stuff , I using a lot of China stuff now I have mixed reviews :) :( :)

Which one do you Buy? & did you have any noise problems / & Channels? & do you use it in a Noises environment (Live Music is very Noise, a wedding would not be unless your In a noise city, cell towers Etc....)

Good luck

Steve

• For me it's this question: I can use a 10 € DMX cable. I know it works perfectly and robust. Maybe I might have to climb up a ladder two or three times to set it up - but thats' all.
    Why should I now switch to a $159.99 system I'm not familiar with, I have to set up, I don't know how it works, I don't know if it works reliably, I even can't tell it works during production if it ran during rehearsals?

I have only one use case I could think of considering a wireless solution: Having an actor wearing a DMX controllable costume. Look at other productions, even the Blue Man Group didn't do this wireless.

If you use a wireless microphone and it might fail, it doesn't have such an impact. If all your lighting fixtures fail, because one wireless connection from FOH to stage fails, it has an enormeous impact. So I would suggest: Don't do it, unless there are really good reasons to do so. If you do it: rely on leading manufactures. Your DMX line is one of the backbones in your production, so take care of it.

Stefan

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/DE-DMX…immer&hash=item3cd816e578

I have not seen that one!

Do you need to buy two of Them? I don't like the words that they used [*]1 x Wireless DMX Transceiver(Transmitter & Receiver) [*]1 x Power Adapter
    should it be "Or" ? "Transmitter & Receiver"

Are you using it in a Noise environment? & how do you like it so far?

I think that as more of these e-bay units are being sold & used the confidents will go up! I know that setting up for a warm up bands w wireless is a Huge advantage & I could setup my computer anywhere w out the hassle of begging the in house people for some help which they tend not to know anything! :P

See next Post

• For me it's this question: I can use a 10 € DMX cable. I know it works perfectly and robust. Maybe I might have to climb up a ladder two or three times to set it up - but thats' all.

Ok Other Options?

Has anybody used the in House cable from the Back (mixing board control) to the front of the stage?

I have a show coming up in a big night club (The Myth live, MN) & we are one of the warm up bands so we have low priorities, I'm guessing but it Looks like its 100ft to 150ft away from the back to the front of the stage

1) will they have a Extra DMX cable to use? I'm pretty sure its "NO we Don't"

2) Ok they will properly have a spare 3-pin Mic Cable so what's the pro & cons w using it? it might be my only option???????

I'm also concerned about other people hooking up their device into my plug they gave me to uses (Shit Happens) & can that damage my Dmx device, Computer? anything else I should be thinging about?? has anybody used tape to cover plug to prevent anybody else from plugging into it (Just Thinking out loud) ?

3) I can run my own cable if its Long enough & were to run it w all kinds of crazy fans everywhere (Tripping is my biggest concern (I have some rugs & tape) I'm Really GREEN when it comes to how to get this information from the Bars or Events & even the Stage setup :argh: somehow the main acts find this information about the in house lights (Addressing) or the Lighting guy just gets their early enough to plug into the House light & figures it out (at some point in time that will be my next step but not at this point in time but I need to start figuring this out! should I in my program leave a bunch of address open at the beginning for in house lighting????

Side Note - Homework - When I go to concert, I try to find answers, I ask the people who run the boards questions But I rarely find any answers most say "I run the Board that's it, I don't know anything" :argh:

wireless is not a option for this concert since I don't know if I want to go in that direction ?( :thumbdown: :thumbup:

Thanks

Steve

• 1 x Wireless DMX Transceiver(Transmitter & Receiver)

It means the device can transmit or receive the data, but only one function at the moment.
    When device detects dmx signal connected to its input it become trasnmitter. If there is no
    dmx signal connected the device is scanning for wireless signal.
    I use this device as transmitter. In 25 m distance it works without any error. Longer distance I
    didn`t try.
    I was very incredulous about dmx wireless until tried. It is very convenient. There is possibility
    to connect to receiver more than 1 dmx device.

• Labaispauda Just bought a Bunch of them!! the price when way down, I like the bigger size for my Fixtures they worked so good I bought more!!! the price went down to around $32.00 wow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-4…a51043:g:BVcAAOSwlV9WRa8K

sorry for the dredge, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter (that I can find) about the ins and outs of these. I bought some of these boards. wired a couple up and got tx rx happening nicely on the LED indication, but the lights don't pass the dmx.
    I'm using cheapo chinese LED quad LED par64 that work perfectly via DMX cable, but when I use the small integrated boards, no dmx passes despite the LED indicating tx and rx being successful.
    so then I tried the external wifi ones thinking maybe I'd wired the others wrong but same issue... rx tx indications are good to go, but the slave stays blank.. throw in a DMX cable and it works fine, replace back with the wireless ones.. nothing.

so then I tried the same on some moving head lights I have... and the wireless works here... wat?

is there some different type of DMX for different lights? they're booth standard 3 pin xlr style.. any help gratefully received. I'm way confused

• Hi,
    there is only one DMX specification. Devices, which implements it correct work perfect witch each other. But some cheap devices (e.g. chineese noname products) do not implement DMX correct. Those devices need a smaller DMX-datarate to work properly. So mixing cheap and normal devices could cause communication problems so the devices doesn't react.
    regards
    JP

• Hi,
    there is only one DMX specification. Devices, which implements it correct work perfect witch each other. But some cheap devices (e.g. chineese noname products) do not implement DMX correct. Those devices need a smaller DMX-datarate to work properly. So mixing cheap and normal devices could cause communication problems so the devices doesn't react.
    regards
    JP

thanks JP.. weird that both work fine with DMX cable, but when I use the wireless only the moving head ones work though?
    what I mean is..
    cheap puck to cheap puck via cable.. works
    moving head to moving head via cable.. works
    cheap puck to cheap puck wireless.. fails
    moving head to moving head wireless... works

if there's a datarate issue, can I address that somehow?

• hmmm only if you can edit the datarate and other parameters of your wireless modules, because they work on the receiving side as new sender and generate a new DMX signal (ofcorse with the data received on the wireless transmitter side). So you have two DMX lanes with the wireless nodes:

• DMX console => moving head => wireless transmitter
    • wireless receiver => moving head

regards
    JP

• nope.. I don't have a console (as such).
    I have a pair of moving heads.. set one as master (to sound, or strobe or chase or whatever). tx wireless from that goes to rx wireless on the next (moving head) set to A001 slave.
    works perfectly.
    replace the wireless with a cable.. works perfectly.

now puck set to sound active -> same cable -> puck set to A001.
    works perfectly
    puck ->same wireless tx rx units ->puck set to A001
    fail

I kinda have a console (and have tried with it too and it also fails on wireless, succeeds on wired)
    so my 'console' is actually one I made. I have little to no need of anything fancy, so I purchased 2x spare boards from these pucks.
    one board is set to strobe, one to sound. the DMX out goes to a 3pdt stomp switch (and I have a sensitivity knob on it for the sound). during a gig our bassist can stomp to swap to strobe, or back to sound active by jumping on it. it's housed in a standard guitar style pedal

I even tried wiring in one of the cheap wireless boards for tx.. but when I couldn't get that working I tried the external type in case it was my wiring (didn't think it was, but wasn't sure).. seems to be the pucks are odd

• Hi @rocklander
    this looks like as a malfuntion between your Wireless DMX devices,

I use a Transceiver System build in a single XLR Plug. ( real plug and Play ) 24/7 never turned off ( ok somtimes ) no Problems on all Devices.
    Some others are permanetly tranported and pluged in and pluged out ..on Live Gigs.

This parts are made in China, but they used a DMX Standart and are kompatible to all other ISM Band Devices with
    2.4 to 2.525 GHz 126 Chanels Jump Frequency and 512 DMX Chanels in 7 FRequenz Groups Like 7 Universes
    You should take a look at this tecnical Details , if they are all the same on any of your Wifi DMX DEvice, if they are work to together.

here my favorites:
    The Manufactor is Haiking Technology Co. Ltd Alternate you can use the same by Lixada
    Model HK-WDMX01A ( XLR male Version ) and Model HK-WDMX01B ( XLR female Version )

Thake a Look at this, it will be fix your Problem in Minutes, i think so.

Best Regards Uwe

• thanks hothand.
    I've had it explained to me now.
    the issue is that some of the cheap chinese pucks have DMX in and out sockets on them (even has the term "DMX" written on them and in the
    literature), but it is in fact a proprietary system. so the cables work sweet (copper is copper) but the wireless (send) fails because they are
    designed to transmit 'true' dmx.. the wireless boards and the external ones are not able to xmit the proprietary protocol.
    the pucks (I'm told) are able to receive DMX, but can't what they send if they're set to master is not true dmx.
    sucks that they're (the pucks) being sold with misleading information, but at least I know and can stop chasing the dragon on the gear I have.

• Update 2015 & 2016 - This is the One I use (20X or more)
    I found that Daisy Chaining to many Device does not work very Good :(
    I use a 8 Channel Signal Amplifier Distribution box to solve this Problem & it works Great for Multiple Devices ! :D

How to Set it up

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.