creating a ddf to control fluorescent tube lights and leds' (which are not dmx lights)

• I am really new to this dmx system and does not have any
    prior knowledge about it. i have been assigned to do a project to
    control fluorescent tube lights and set of led's to be
    controlled using the DMXControl 2.11 software using wireless techniques.
    As in the devices section they don't have separate device for a single
    fluorescent
    tube light i have to make a ddf for that. Initial i just want to switch
    off/on the lights using the DMXControl interface.

Any help to create this ddf is much appreciated as i did not understand
    the exact concept of making the ddf even after going through a manual.

Thank you!!!

• Hi and welcome in this forum,
    how many DMX-channels are supported by your flourescent tube lights and the LED-lights? If they have only one channel each, you can use the "generic dimmer"-DDF. One task of a DDF in DMXControl is to specify the type of every channel. Devices with complex channel configurations (e.g. moving heads) often need specific DDFs, but with only one dimmer-channel and no other channels, the standard "generic dimmer"-DDF is the best to use :).

hint: to differentiate between different light types in the graphical view, there is the opprtunity to change the shown device icons by right clicking onto the device => "configure" => "change picture".
    Regards
    JP

im Falle eines Falles klebt Gaffa einfach alles, denn Gaffa ist dein Freund und Helfer :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JPK ().

• THANK YOU very much for the kind reply!!!!

To be honest i don't understand the whole channel concept. But after the reading i did on it i think im going to use one channel.

Can u please explain me how to decide on number of channels. As i only need to switch on/off the lights for now one channel is enough for it ryt???

And if i use the "generic dimmer"-DDF i get a slider to control the lights. So can i switch on/off the lights from that. isn't it used to control the light intensity???

Thank you!!!!

And if i use the "generic dimmer"-DDF i get a slider to control the lights. So can i switch on/off the lights from that. isn't it used to control the light intensity???

Hi, just use instead the generic switch ddf, to switch on and off

regards
    Uwe

• hi,
    ok, here some basic informations about DMX to understand the channel concept:
    The DMX standard gives 512 channels and each channel have a value between 0 and 255. On the device side, each device has a specific count of channels which where used by the device and a user defined start adress. The start adress is important because this is the start channel from where the device detect the channel values. Example: I want to use 2 identical LED Par light (lets say they use 5 channels: ch1: red, ch2: green, ch3: blue, ch4: dimmer, ch5: mode). But I want to contol each light seperatly, so I set the start adress of the first LED Par to 1 and the adress of the second one to 6, because the first one use 5 channels. So when I want to control the blue color of the second one, I have to adjust channel 8.

Back to your problem: There is also a genric On/Off switch in the DDF directory. You can use this DDF instead, but it switches only between the channel values 0 and 255 so you can have the same effect to your Lamps with the dimmer DDF by positioning the slider to the very begining and the very end of its range.
    Regards
    JP
    P.S.: I hope you'll understand my bad english ;)

• Thank you very much JP and Uwe for the replies!!!

Now i have a way better knowledge about DMXControl and the DDF i have to use for my project.
    Thanks again. really appreciate it!!!!

Dhanika

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.