Playing video or PowerPoint?

• I know this has been discussed on the German forums, but my efforts to understand them using a translator have not been productive.

If my understanding is correct, the normal way a video or PowerPoint presentation is triggered is by running a 3rd party application called Mediacenter by Digital Enlightenment [www.digital-enlightenment.de] Normally, this program is run on a second computer and controlled over the network from the computer that is running DMXControl.

However, I (and I am sure others) would really prefer to only use one computer. Is this possible? Is it possible to avoid using Mediacenter, and instead use the existing video player that comes with windows(Wndows Media Player)?

Joe Dunfee

• Hallo Joe,

you explain so much what you don't want to do that I don't understand what you want to do.

Do you want to play a video? Then just use the software you want to.
    Do you want to embedd a video into a PowerPoint presentation? Then just do it. In my german Installation this functionallity is located in "Einfügen -> Film und Sound -> Film aus Datei..." which could be "Insert -> Video and Sound -> Video from file...".

I think it would be the best to consult the help function in your PowerPoint install.

Stefan

• I want to use DMXControl to run both lights and PowerPoint. I will be performing on stage with marionettes, and will have a rear-screen projection system behind me. Each segment of the performance will require different lighting settings, have music, and play a short PowerPoint presentation that may have an animation or video embedded in it. Attached to this message is a drawing of the set-up.

In my pocket I will have a remote control. By pressing a button on the remote control I will trigger the "go" button to change to the next scene.

I realize there are various ways to accomplish my goal. One way is to have DMXControl the main program that triggers everything.

A different approach is to have PowerPoint to be the main program. It is capable of embedding a sound or video in a slide (I already know how to do this with PowerPoint). It is also possible to embed a MIDI file in a slide. So, if the MIDI file has the proper commands commands, it can trigger the next lighting scene in DMX control.

I was trying to avoid the above method, because I am unfamiliar with how to create a MIDI file that has the proper commands to trigger a lighting cue.

I have two questions;

• Is it possible to trigger a PowerPoint presentation in a DMXControl scene?
    • Which program do you recommend that I use as my main control program; DMXControl or PowerPoint?

As always, thank you very much for your efforts to help me understand how to use DMXControl.

Joe Dunfee

• Hi!

I would try to take DMXControl for the main control. Just because thats the "propper" way. Your screen is a kind of light device and using strange MIDI-commands from powerpoint to do that is far to strage for me...
    Using both on one computer could be done by simulating a keypress for the "page down" button or simulating a "left mouseclick". Powerpoint will then switch the slides.
    First, this plugin could help you: DMXControl startet Programme
    I hope you understand to use it. You can start programs out of DMXControl with it.
    Second, autoit could be your friend: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml
    You have to create an autoit-script that presses the right buttons and then start that script with the plugin.
    I never tried that, but fisl here in the forum suggested that solution for another question on nearly the same problem.

Hoc

Mein Equipment:
    1x Hirn | 2x Augen (leicht defekt) |2x Ohren | 1x Mund |32x Zahn (zum Teil V1.5) | 1x Handundfuß-Interface

*SCNR*

• This would probably be a good time for me to add an english translation to this plugin.
    If you have questions on how to use this plugin feel free to ask.
    I would say what Hoc described is the easiest solution for your problem.

Dennis

• I don't know which remote you have, but I use Logitech Cordless Presenter 2,4 GHz.
    Here is a small AutoHotkey script that maps all keys (six) to keys DMXControl can handle. Hope this is supported by default in DMXControl 3
    The "blank screen" key sends a dot [.] this is no problem.
    (Mapping only active if DMXControl or Submaster or Effektsequencer window has focus)

Code
    ; ###############################################; DMXControl; -----------------------------------------------$PgUp::  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {#}  else    KeyWait PgUp    SendInput {PgUp}  return$PgDn::  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {+}  else    KeyWait PgDn    SendInput {PgDn}  return$F5::  KeyWait F5  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {,}  else    SendInput {F5}  return$Esc::  KeyWait Esc  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {,}  else    SendInput {Esc}  return$Volume_Up::  KeyWait Volume_Up  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {ü}  else    SendInput {Volume_Up}  return$Volume_Down::  KeyWait Volume_Down  If (WinActive("Submaster") OR WinActive("Effektsequencer") OR WinActive("DMXControl"))    SendInput {ä}  else    SendInput {Volume_Down}  return

• Hoc,
    I want to make sure I understand the DMXControl startet Program. I realize I need to start the PowerPoint first, but is it also able to send a "go to next slide" command to PowerPoint?

-----
    Stefan,
    I also have the Logitech Cordless Presenter 2,4 GHz. I now realize that it will not work for DMXControl, unless I remap the keys. However, I cannot figure out how to get DMXControl to advance to the next scene by using the keyboard. I am guessing, but your script for Autohotkeys seems to use the + and , keys to change scenes. But, without using AutoHotKeys, the + and , do nothing.

So, I imagine that you had use the keyboard control that is inside DMXControl to make + and , do something. All the keys are set to "disabled" by default. I tried to change some of them, but do not understand how the various options work. I tried the following settings to try to get the spacebar to cause the DMXControl to go to the next scene and backspace to go back a scene.

.Control........|.Module.....|.Device/function
    .Key 'space'....|.Scene list.|.Next
    .Key 'Backspace'|.Scene list.|.Previous

I tried it with the scene list closed, with the scene list open, and with the scene list open and the "play" button down. But, the only time there was an effect is if the "play" button is down, and I press the space bar... but that worked only because windows has the space bar serve the same as a mouse click when a button has focus. The backspace had no effect. So, I don't think my keyboard configuration efforts had any effect. What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Joe Dunfee

p.s. I tried to use spacing on the message editor with a Courier font to make them line up, but the spaces are not coming up as mono-space. So, I switched to ... to get them to line up. I guess the best thing would be to include a screen grab, but I can't figure out how to put the picture inline.

• I am guessing, but your script for Autohotkeys seems to use the + and , keys to change scenes. But, without using AutoHotKeys, the + and , do nothing.

My Script simply does the remapping - nothing more, nothing less. You have to tell DMXControl how to react to these keys.
    As I wrote remapping is only active if DMXControl or two other windows have focus - you can rewrite the script if you want, but I found it annoying if DMXControl does weird things while I'm typing on my keyboard :)

Philipp already pointed out another fact to remember.

• Philip may have found one issue. I was unaware that that window had to be open. I do not know what all the options in the "keyboarcontrol" window are. I just noticed that there are TWO windows by the same name. The window where you set the key-command options, and another where you enable the keyboard control. It might be best to have them combined into one window. Just have a button on it that expands or collapses the actual key-command settings. And if the keyboardcontrol window must be open for it to work, then a note on the windows should say that.

However, I still cannot get it to work. I have attached some screen grabs of my settings. That may show you what is going wrong.

Not having a full manual is a good way to see how intuitive a program is... and this one is not proving to be very intuitive. Actually, I don't expect a complex program like this to be highly intuitive. But, I am afraid you will end up typing an English manual eventually, just by answering my questions!

Joe Dunfee

• Hi Joe!

Don't be afraid, we actually are working on the english manual. We decided to do this some months ago, so you are not guilty. ;)
    And the version 3.0 is done FIRST in english (even the manual) and then translated in german or other languages. We also found out, that some controls in the 2.x-series are not intuitive enough. So this is another item we try to improve on the next versions. But DMXControl grew bigger and bigger with the wishes from the users so it got more complex but staying in some borders given by the programming language that is used. And thats why everything is redone now...

Back to your problem:
    I can see that there is missing an argument in your first screenshot. You have to set "Channel" to "select" oder "start" or whatever you need. Sorry, another item on the "grew out of its boundaries". Nobody thinks you have to continue after selecting "next" in the "Device/Function" column.

Hoc

Mein Equipment:
    1x Hirn | 2x Augen (leicht defekt) |2x Ohren | 1x Mund |32x Zahn (zum Teil V1.5) | 1x Handundfuß-Interface

*SCNR*

• The screenshot of the keyboard assignment showed it-the commands are not complete. There must be one entry in each column.

For your application, that would be:

Key G "Scenelist" "Current" "GO" which starts the transition to the next cue.
    This assumes that you loaded the correct list and started it. Otherwise it does nothing.

You can load and activate by another command:
    Key ___ "Scenelist" "NAME OF YOUR SCENE" (should be present in the dropdown list) "Start"
    (I am not sure whether it starts then at the first scene or if it starts with that entry that was highlightet just before).

In doubt, you can use an effect with following sequence of commands (a single run effect)
    "Scenelist" "YOUR SCENE" "Auswählen /Choose"
    "Scenelist" "Ausgewählte / Chosen", "Start"

You can activate this effect by a keystroke too:
    Key __ "Effects" "Name of this effect" "Start"

For your second PC issue:
    I would strongly recommend to use a separate PC for Beamer application. You can get nice second hand PC for quite small ammount of money (a legal XP licence is quite equal in price). I use several DELL Optiplex 240/260 (small form factor).
    The PC needs Powerpoint and MediaServer installed (with a start-Batch-file). To ease your work, I would suggest you place MediaCenter on your control PC and MediaServer on your Beamer-PC on the same location relative to root. I have mine on C:\Mediacenter. On the remote PC, this folder is made accessible via network. Both (local and remote) contain folder with the footage. It is up to you how you keep them synchronized. As the paths to your footage are the same locally as remote, it will be an ease, to setup the sequences as you preferred it.

With MediaCenter and PPT, I always wonder if I have to transfer a PPT or a PPS file. I am indeed shure that you need a full version of Powerpoint on the MediaServer because the PPT-Viewer does not support the remote control from another application (e.g. MediaServer).

Separate PC gives you full guarantee, that in doubt (connection lost...) the screen behind you never shows your OSs Wallpaper or other nasty things.

Sound contained in footage is using the remote PCs soundcard for playout - probably you have to mix this signal with the playout of your control PC (if you use Audiotracks in DMXC.

BTW: I like your Idea of how using DMXC - probably you could provide some photographs or even video when you have it up and running. I wrote when - I have no doubt you manage to do it in some way!

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.