Connecting DMXcontrol 3.2.1 to midi sequencer

• Hello,

I'm relatively new to this and trying to set up DMXcontrol 3.2.1 and link it to a midi sequencer (f.e. Ableton live) to run my lightshow from there.

1. I have already linked the lights through a USB to DMX interface to DMXcontrol and it's possible to control them through the software.
    2. From what I've read the next step would be creating a cue-list (which are like 'scenes' on a traditional DMX controller).
    3. Then I would have to link DMXcontrol to the software running the midi sequencer so that both programs can communicate with another.
    4. Finally I imagine I would have to create a ruleset in DMXcontrol's midi manager to liink midi notes to specific cues from the cuelist.

Is that way of thinking correct and how do I route the midi data from Ableton Live to DMXControl 3 ?

I read that other programs like DMXis use a VST-plugin for this, is that also available for DMXcontrol 3?

• Souko

Approved the thread.
  • I´m a DMXC noob, but have done a similar thing with a different DMX Software (QLC). I´m evaluating DMXC and want to rebuild everything in it. And there are reasons why I would switch / take the effort. So here is my take:

- Novation Launchpad sends MIDI to Bitwig Studio via USB. Launchpad is used for finger drumming light scenes as well calling more static scenes.

- Bitwig (in your case Live) can record, edit, transform, playback MIDI data or even generate it.

- Bitwig forwards/sends MIDI to DMX Software using a virtual MIDI cable. I picked rtpMIDI, since that is also OEM´d by serious hardware vendors = proven.

- DMX recipient has MIDI Note to Scene Mapping.

- Between "Sequencer Out" and "DMX software in" there is Bome MIDI Translator Pro for advanced processing of MIDI data. Whether or not you need that part is dependent on your use case, it´s a good idea to start without it and once you got the basics done, you may think "hey, if only the launchpad could create this type of MIDI message instead of...." and there you go.

In QLC I actually call buttons on a virtual console, so I can call single scenes, layered scenes (collections) or every other element like chasers or RGB matrices, whatever can be linked to a button. I haven´t got my head around how to do this (or get similar results) in DMXC, but that´s because I´m just getting familiar with DMXC and discovered it just a few days ago.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that rtpMIDI transports data from my sequencer PC to my light PC. In case you want to run everything on one machine, try loopMIDI from the same author.

• Hi and welcome in our forum,

DMXcontrol 3.2.1

first of all: We released DMXControl 3.2.2 about 3 months ago. There are some new features and bugfixes in it (see https://dmxcontrol.de/en/dmxcontrol-3/releasenotes.html).So you might update your installation first to get the new features.

I have already linked the lights through a USB to DMX interface to DMXcontrol and it's possible to control them through the software.
    From what I've read the next step would be creating a cue-list (which are like 'scenes' on a traditional DMX controller).
    Then I would have to link DMXcontrol to the software running the midi sequencer so that both programs can communicate with another.
    Finally I imagine I would have to create a ruleset in DMXcontrol's midi manager to liink midi notes to specific cues from the cuelist.

The sequence you wrote is basically correct. Usually, MIDI is usually used in DMXControl 3 to trigger multiple cuelists. In your case, a mixture of a few cuelists (I often work with 4-5 cuelists) with multiple cues could work.

Regards
    JP