MIDI message to press the GO button

• Hi,

I'm trying to do a very simple thing - press the GO button by means of a MIDI message. I've chosen Note On (C1) with a velocity of 127 for this. And I've had partial success...but still there's a snag.

So I've:

Used the MIDI Manager to create a rule (button) that responds to the correct message.

Used the Input Assignment page to link my rule to the GO button.

Doing this I found that I had to set the 'Is Toggle' option in the rule to Yes otherwise it wouldn't work.

I now find that I have to send two Note On messages because the the first one 'latches' the binary switcher (that was automatically created in the Input Graph) to a 'True' output. It presses the GO button as required but doesn't afterwards reset the input state. I have to send a second MIDI Note On to do so. As I want to program these control messages into another piece of software this is a bit worrying as, if it gets out of step, chaos will ensue!

I'm obviously missing something. So my question is very simply: what's the best way of setting it up so that each time I send a Note On (or it could be any other message), the GO button is pressed?

Thanks in advance!

• I found my own solution so I thought I'd share it here for anyone else trying to do the same thing.

The first essential thing, as I'd already discovered, was to set the MIDI button I'd created in MIDI Manager to be a Toggle. Without this, the output of the button component goes High when the first message is received but then never goes Low again. However, with this option set, the output toggles between High and Low with each message.

On the Input Assignment tab I created an assignment between my MIDI component and the GO button of my playlist. The graph automatically added a Binary Switcher between the two, which turns the 0/1 output of the button to False/True.

Each time a MIDI message is received the Switcher toggles between True and False, but the GO button only fires when it receives a True. Thus, two MIDI messages are required (after the very first one) as the button/switcher has to cycle back to False before it can send another True.

To get round this, I broke the connection between the Switcher and the GO button. I then added two new components, a Delay and Logic component that I configured to be an XOR gate. I set the Delay to 50 milliseconds.

I then took two outputs from the Switcher. One went directly to the XOR gate while the other went to the Delay. The output of the Delay went to the second input of the XOR gate.

At the start, everything is Low/False. The first MIDI message sends the output of the Switcher to True; the gate has got a True and a False on its inputs and so changes its output to True. The GO button is pressed.

50 milliseconds later the second True state arrives at the XOR gate. This sends the output to False, clearing the GO button so that it's ready to accept the next press.

The next MIDI message sets the output of the Switcher to False. The XOR gate now has a False/True pair on its inputs and this sets its output to True again; the GO button is pressed once more.

50 milliseconds later the second False state arrives at the XOR gate, sending its output to False.

And so on!

• Hey...

Good to see, that you could find a solution by yourself. But what I want to ask: how looks the related rule set of the MIDI device? Maybe there is problem, why you need to create a connection set like this. Can you take a screen shot of the rule set?

Usually, your are able to receice only a high when you are pressing the button. But: it's necessary, that the controller is also working in that way. If it's not possible, then you need to choose your solution so far.

Regards, Stefan.

• Hi Stefan,

Many thanks for the reply. Here's the rule that I set up:

Now there's lots in there that I don't understand! I have no idea what 'Backtrack' is for example.....

Ah.....should I be sending a 'Disable Message', ie a Note Off?? I bet that's it!

Still, even if so, I'd have to send two messages from the other piece of software rather than the one that's needed at the moment. Of course, if I was using a real MIDI keyboard, a Note Off would be sent anyway and so the Disable Message would be ideal.

Bit by bit I'm fathoming all this out! :)

• Good morning!

Thanks for the screenshot. It shows that, what I already guess: your MIDI control signal (doesn't matter if it is a real controller or an other software) doesn't send a Disable Message. Here is everything 0. Only the Enable Message includes values, they can used for an action inside DMXControl 3. That's also the reason, why you need to create such a connection set.

For using a much less complicated connection set, you can try to set the values for the Disable Message manually. They are so far the same like the Enable Message. The only difference is the value for Data 2. Here you need to choose 0.

The values for Backtrack (enable and disable) you can ignore for the moment. These you need only first, when you want to get a status back from DMXControl 3 to a LED indicator of your controller or something similar.

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.