DMX decoder with Ethernet?

• Hi,

I found one of these lying around and I have an RGBW LED strip with 24v driver ....but what do I need to run the Ethernet wire to in order to control the lights? Can I go straight to a PC or I need some kind of DMX controller that has an Ethernet port? Thanks.

• Hey and welcome!

Regarding the manual and also the print on the chassis you should see, that this controller is an standard DMX controller. For different reasons - one of the could be the small dimensions, the manufacturer use the Ethernet ports instead XLR ports.

So you need an adapter cable from XLR to the Ethernet plug with pin assignment as written in the manual or on the chassis. If you use more of this controller in the following, you can connect them with standard network cables.

Regards, Stefan.

PS.: Please note, that I move this topic to our general section of our forum, because it's not related any light control software like as DMXControl 3.

• Hi and welcome in our forum,

the manufacturer of this decoder used Ethernet connectors (so called RJ45 connectors), but the usual DMX signal is required here, no Ethernet. Do not plug this decoder in an usual Ethernet port! To control your lights, you need a DMX interface, which generates the DMX signals. There are plenty of different DMX interface types (USB-DMX-Interfaces, Artnet-Interfaces,...). To determine which one would fit for you, it is required to know, which software you prefer to use (to eventually control your LED strip).

Regards

JP

Edit: Ok, Stefan was faster :D

• Well, I don't know that there is any standard on how to convert from XLR to RJ45, so from the shape the adapters are correct, but whether the connection mapping is correct, nobody can tell from the picture. So yes, you need an adapter like that with the proper wiring which matches the imprint on the controller.

• Hi Stefan,

The info for pin assignment in the manual is as follows, can you point me in the direction of a suitable adaptor I can buy in the UK please?

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2818841.pdf

• Hi,

the DMX port of the controller is as the DMX standard defines. But the problem, which Soon5 pointed out, is that the pin assignment of the XLR to RJ45 adapter you posted is not known and possibly differs from the pin assignment of your DMX decoder. Maybe the manufacturer of this decoder has some DMX to RJ45 Adapters you can buy.

Regards

JP

• Hi,

the DMX port of the controller is as the DMX standard defines. But the problem, which Soon5 pointed out, is that the pin assignment of the XLR to RJ45 adapter you posted is not known and possibly differs from the pin assignment of your DMX decoder. Maybe the manufacturer of this decoder has some DMX to RJ45 Adapters you can buy.

Regards

JP

OK I'll ask the decoder manufacturer.

Just out of interest, why would a DMX to RJ45 Adaptor have a different pin assignment than the standard DMX variety?

Why is it that this vitally important pin assignment is not shown on any DMX to RJ45 Adaptor instructions/spec sheets I can find online?

• OK I'll ask the decoder manufacturer.

Usually you should find this information in the manual of the decoder (I used unluckily the word yesterday - I was also talking about the decoder, which controls the LED stripes). Another possibility is, that this is written on the chassis.

Just out of interest, why would a DMX to RJ45 Adaptor have a different pin assignment than the standard DMX variety?

So far I can say, there is no (worldwide) standard available for the pin assignment when send DMX signals over Ethernet cables. That's why you have to be intent.

Why is it that this vitally important pin assignment is not shown on any DMX to RJ45 Adaptor instructions/spec sheets I can find online?

A good manufacturer should have a document, where the pin assignment is noted of this adapter. The other possibility is, that you build such an adapter by yourself.

• Just out of interest, why would a DMX to RJ45 Adaptor have a different pin assignment than the standard DMX variety?

The basic issue starts with the amount of Pins. An RJ45 has 8 Pins, an XLR3, so there are obviously some not connected, or combined as in your case Pin 7 and 8 are both GND. Sadly there is no official standard how the 3 DMX Pins are mapped to the 8 RJ45, so out there is a wild variation of adapters and combinations as every vendor is doing whatever he wants.