Colour definition on moving head unit

• In attempting to encode a DDF, I am having trouble with the <colorwheel> semantics.

The unit M1H200W has a colorwheel with 9 colours, but has the option to split colours.

I have coded it as:

Where the specs say Position 1 (open) dmx 0:2, Position 2 3:5, Position 3 6:8:, Position 4 9:11 etc. on the assumption that the even numbered positions are the split colours.

This almost works except that the colours come out in the reverse order, and Magenta (Position 2) doesn't happen - only 7 colours and white come out. (8 colours and open show on the Stage View).

• Good morning,

When you say

This almost works except that the colours come out in the reverse order, and Magenta (Position 2) doesn't happen - only 7 colours and white come out.

it sounds for me like there is a mistake in the manual itself. The best way to find out, which functions are available in for device, you check the channel with the channel overview. After you select the specific channel, you can send dmx values manually.

From the direct view on your xml code, it looks fine so far. But maybe you can also upload the manual for the device. It's easier to check with the originally written dmx chart.

Greetings, Stefan.

• it sounds for me like there is a mistake in the manual itself.

:)You are right on the money there - the colours quoted in the manual are in the wrong order.

I now have a basic working DDF (attached).

It is not fully operational - for example once the colour wheel starts turning, I can't stop it.

Likewise the gobo wheels and the gobo rotation are unstoppable.

I would value any advice you can give me on these problems.

The other entries in the manual seem correct (attached), and I tested all the dmx values - all correct except the colour.

Thanks again

(More than happy to include the finished DDF in the device library when it's polished up).

• How did you try to stop the colourwheel rotation? When I double click on the fader in the device control, which will be shown, when you click on the drop-down button, then the rotation will be stopped right according to the channel overview. If you will set directly a static colour, then the rotation don't stop - that's true. So you need to stop the rotation first as explained before. In the moment, I don't know, if this is a right behaviour of the software itself. I need to think about and asking the team.

By the way: very funny to know in detail know, which device you are talking about. In Germany, this device is sold as Futurelight DMH-200. So I know the specs of it a bit. If you like to try to implement the definition for the Extended Mode, you can take a look to the DDF for the Futurelight DMH-160. This is quiet similar to your device.

• It's true. So far, the Colorwheelrotation and also Gobowheelrotation are not stopped, in case a fixed Color / Gobo is set. This is currently the intended behavior, so there is nothing wrong with the DDF. Nevertheless, we can discuss whether this behavior is the right one. As Stefan mentioned, we can have the discussion in the Team.

• Thank you again for your help.

I have looked into the Futurelight 160 DDF, and it was a good starting point. The differences were some details in the rotating gobo wheel, the prism, frost and zoom.

I think it is now working for everything except the prism - and I must admit to not understanding the manual for the prism.

Anyway, I have attached the current version, and icons for the gobos.

If I can solve the prism, I will upload the DDF.

(The Futurelight manual seems to be much better than the Event Lighting version, and they are surprisingly different in format).

• You are welcome. Glad to hear, that you could work with the DDF of the Futurelight DMH-160. For implement the prism rotation, please take a look in the documentation in our wiki: in the german article Prisma (DDF-Syntax) DMXC3 you find an example at the point "

Prismenrotation auf gleichem DMX-Kanal" (prism rotation on the same dmx channel). I guess, you will understand the example - otherwise please ask again.

• I have tried a few options - none work:

XML
    <prism  dmxchannel = "17" >
      <prismrotation  />
      <step  type = "open"  mindmx = "0"  maxdmx = "3"  caption = "Open"  />
      <step  type = "prism"  mindmx = "3"  maxdmx = "255"  caption = "3-facet radial prism" >
        <step  type = "stop"  handler = "prism rotation"  mindmx = "3"  maxdmx = "4"  />
        <range  type = "ccw"  handler = "prismrotation"  mindmx = "127"  maxdmx ="5"  minval = "0.1"  maxval = "5"  />
        <range  type = "cw"  handler = "prismrotation"  mindmx = "128"  maxdmx = "255"  minval = "0.1"  maxval = "5"  />
      </step>
    </prism>

XML
    <prism  dmxchannel = "17" >
      <prismrotation  />
      <step  type = "open"  mindmx = "0"  maxdmx = "3"  caption = "Open"  />
        <step  type = "prism"  mindmx = "3"  maxdmx = "255"  caption = "3-facet prism" >
        <step  type = "stop"  handler = "prism rotation"  mindmx = "128"  maxdmx = "131"  />
        <range  type = "ccw"  handler = "prismrotation"  mindmx = "127"  maxdmx ="4"  minval = "0.1"  maxval = "5"  />
        <range  type = "cw"  handler = "prismrotation"  mindmx = "132"  maxdmx = "255"  minval = "0.1"  maxval = "5"  />
      </step>
    </prism>

Despite what the manual(s) say, the unit responds to the dmx values:

0..3 open (no prism)

4..127 slower to faster clockwise rotation

128..132 prism in place, no rotation

133..255 counterclockwise rotation.

It looks as though some other setting is inhibiting it - it just remains open. But I can't see any other place it could being inhibited.

Bye the way: what is the significance of 'mindmx = "191" maxdmx ="128"' in the example - with mindmx > maxdmx?

Thanks again

• Hi,

Bye the way: what is the significance of 'mindmx = "191" maxdmx ="128"' in the example - with mindmx > maxdmx?

back then in the beginning of DMXControl 3, we defined that maxval is always greater than minval, because both parameter define the minimum and maximum possible value in a device function block. We also defined that Mindmx and maxdmx describe the position of minval and maxval. Therefore, if mindmx is greater than maxdmx you get a ramp down from maxval to minval while increasing the dmx value from mindmx to maxdmx. This behavior is designed for device functions like wheel rotation where the higher rotation speed is at the lower end of the device function block.

Regards

JP

im Falle eines Falles klebt Gaffa einfach alles, denn Gaffa ist dein Freund und Helfer :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JPK ().

• XML
    <prism dmxchannel="17">
      <prismrotation />
      <step type="open" mindmx="0" maxdmx="3" caption="Open" />
      <step type="prism" mindmx="4" maxdmx="255" caption="3-facets radial prism">
        <step type="stop" handler="prismrotation" mindmx="128" maxdmx="132" />
        <range type="cw" handler="prismrotation" mindmx="4" maxdmx="127" minval="0.1" maxval="3" />
        <range type="ccw" handler="prismrotation" mindmx="133" maxdmx="255" minval="0.1" maxval="3" />
       </step>
    </prism>

Hmm. I adapted the example from the Wiki to your needed values. Maybe you can check this in between. I will able to verify the code not until the evening in German time.

In your two tests / examples I just only can see three things, where I am not sure, how the software will react:

1. There is a crossing between the steps open and prism included. As you can see in my example, the range for the step open ends at dmx value 3 and the step prism included needs to start at dmx value 4. You wrote 3 for both values.
    2. In both example, you wrote in the line for stopping the included prism prism rotation instead prismrotation for the handler value.
    3. There were much more spaces in the code in general as I have seen this before, for example in front and behind of the =.

Also this three points I will try to check later. The rest of your code looks okay so far.

• Good evening!

As I promised I checked now your DDF, which you attached in your post this morning. The only problem, which I could figure out, is, that due to the space in prism rotation the step for stop doesn't work. This you need to remove. All the rest works so far according to, when I take a look into the channel overview of DMXControl 3. The 18th channel reacts according to your noted responses.

I hope, it will work now. If not, please don't hesitate to ask again.

Regards, Stefan.

• I really thought we had it there - with the "prism rotation" attribute (the space was inserted by the translate to English function - pity I didn't keep up my high school German).

But it still doesn't work. The prism is not something we need to use - we won't be using the fireworks in our usual productions, but I did want to get it right.

Perhaps someone with a Futurelight DMH-200 can have a look at it.

The latest is attached - do you want me to put it up through the web page?

Regards

Rod

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.