Save All

• not really sure the points your making. I'm telling you what I do, you saying you don't doesn't solve my issue in any way? Saying I have the problem again doesnt solve the issue, unless you tell me how you would deal with the specific issue I've mentioned.

I wanted to show you, why DMXControl is programmed in the way it is and not in the way, you suggested.

Regards

Johannes

• LightningBrothers

I've just had a play around as your suggested with Stage View - I think I'm getting it, although being totally honest I'm still not 100% sure. I'm am however now struggling with jumping between queues too.

In DMX Control 2, if the operator makes a mistake, or needs to jump in on Cue 3, they can by double clicking it, and continuing the play list... is that also no longer supported? It says "editor: Cuelist" which suggests maybe it's a different screen to run the show with, but when I tried to assign a cuelist to Executor that didnt seem to be right.

• In DMX Control 2, if the operator makes a mistake, or needs to jump in on Cue 3, they can by double clicking it, and continuing the play list... is that also no longer supported? It says "editor: Cuelist" which suggests maybe it's a different screen to run the show with, but when I tried to assign a cuelist to Executor that didnt seem to be right.

Right click and goto

• So I have to clear the programmer each time? Will clearing the programmer not clear the values in stage view as obviously I'll want to keep building the lights based on what the previous queue was?

• LightningBrothers Okay, so I've cleared the programmer, but I still dont really understand...

Clearing it works, for those two cues, so thats all fine. But now I want to make a Cue 3 and Cue 4 (Cue 3 the same as Cue 1, Cue 4 the same as Cue 2). In DMX 2 I would load Cue 1, then save all and that would become Cue 3, then I would load Cue 2, save all, and that would be Cue 4 - job done.

I've tried to do the same in DMX 3 but it saves no values at all. Stage View still shows the lights on, but nothing it saved... what am I missing.

• Hi,

I've tried to do the same in DMX 3 but it saves no values at all.

the reason for this is the fact that DMXControl 3 detects, if you change a device property and store this value in the programmer. By adding a cue to the cuelist, DMXC 3 uses the values in the programmer. But if you start a cue, the values of this cue are send to the HAL (to match the property values to DMX values) and are not send to the programmer. Thats why there is no value to save there, if you just start a cue. But: There are two ways to acheve your expected result. Which one you should use is defined by the expected result. If you just wand an exact copy of a cue, you can simply copy&paste it. In this case jusr do a rightclick on the cue you want to copy and click on the "Copy Cue" entry in the now opened popup menu. In the target position in the cuelist (it can even be another cuelist than the one in which the souce cue is in) do also the right click and hit "Paste Cue".

If you don't want an exact copy but most of it, you can just copy&paste the cue and edit it. To do this, just open the popup menu for the cue after pasting it again and click on "Edit in Programmer". With this command, all Parameter Values of the cue are loaded into the programmer. Now you can change the paramters and if you are finnished, just hit the update button on the left. If you want to abort this editing process, clear the programmer. This is the second way, but there is a way "2.5": Just edit the source cue in the Programmer, delete all parameters, you don't want to copy and then hit the "Add Cue" button on the left side. From there the process is as usual. The only thing to remember is to clear the programmer afterwards and not to hit the update button (because you are in editing mode for the source cue).

Regards

JP

im Falle eines Falles klebt Gaffa einfach alles, denn Gaffa ist dein Freund und Helfer :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JPK ().

• JPK  JohannesStroe

Thank you for your detailed responses, this is a massive learning curve - I'm starting to worry again I'm not ready for it.

So, if I understood correctly:

Copying a cue is must easier than DMX2, I can literally just copy and paste it from a cue list without even loading it.

Editing a cue, I load it in to the progammer (and this will then show it in Stage View?) and I can edit it from there and then save?

UPDATE:
    I'm wondering if my install is corrupted somehow?!
    I've just tried to copy and paste as you suggested - something really odd happens...
    I've recreated cue 1 and 2, the same as above, from scratch. Cleared programmer after each one (not sure why this isn't cleared by default).
    I then copy and paste cue 1 =>3, cue 2=>4.

Before i copy cue 1 and 2 work fine, after I copy, cue 1, 3 and 4 are now working as expected, cue 2 doesn't work anymore and no values change when I run the cuelist. I've loaded cue 2 in to the programmer and it appears to how the three light values on the right at 100%...

I feel like I've got so close, but I'm still not there

• Maybe you still have a wrong understanding of the general way the software works. The stage view basically shows the DMX-Output. The Programmer is a place to store programmed parameters. It does overwrite anything else programmed. Everything that is stored in the programmer can be saved as a cue, but if you load a cue, that doesn't mean you load it's information into the programmer. The programmer is just for programming, not for anything live. If you copy a cue, you will not copy those parameters, but the cue itself with its parameters included. I hope that this will gonna help you a bit.

Regards

Johannes

• Copying a cue is must easier than DMX2, I can literally just copy and paste it from a cue list without even loading it.

Correct :)

Editing a cue, I load it in to the progammer (and this will then show it in Stage View?) and I can edit it from there and then save?

Yes, you can load it in the Programmer via the "Edit in Programmer" function. As Johannes already said, the Stage View is a tool to display what is going on with the devices. So it shows a mixture of the properties in the Programmer and all running cuelists. When the cue is loaded in the Programmer, then you can change it by changing the Properties via the usual ways (Device Control,...) and then save it to the according cue.

If you wander if your project has a problem just add it here to a post and then I can look into it and try to find the problem :)

• I'm sort of somewhere... I dont know why cue 2 stopped working after copying, but I deleted it, and copied cue 4 in its place and its is working now.

I've disabled tracking and I think I'm somewhere near having a workable replacement to "save all" from DMX 2.

I understand Stage View just shows DMX output (and programmer)- but obviously that is what I use to programme and set cues so thats my main view.

The only bit I need to get my head around...

So say I programme 20 cues for the show and want to just run back through them...

1. In between programming them, as long as I dont then run an cues I dont need to clear the programmer do i? Clearing that after every cue seems quite a chore.

2. I DO need to clear the programmer before I run the cue list to test, and I also need to clear it after I've run the cue list before I start programming more cues in again... but then I dont need to clear it again until I want to run the cue list again?

3. If when I programme a cue in, with tracking turned off, when i run a cue it will turn everything thats currently on off, and turn on only what's programmed?

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.