Save All

• Hi,

I've been using DMX Control v2 for well over 10 years and love it, but I have come to the sad realisation I need to move on to v3, and relearn it, to hopefully see long term future benefits.

One sticking point I am currently having though is I cannot find the "Save All" equivalent when adding a cue. I quote often edit and update lighting as I run shows, and in v2 within two runs the cues wern't usable after two runs as it only saved and sent the difference between cues by default, so when something changed, other cues didnt know. I therefore need to be able to save every value, every time. How is this possible in v3.2 please? As I say, when I go to save, it seems to details to only saving those values I have changed - and I can't see a save all option.

Scott

• JPK

Approved the thread.
  • Hi and welcome in this forum,

when you add a cue, a little window should pop up (the Programmer Filter). Here you can select which properties you want to save. Just click here on "All" on both sides. But a "Save All"-Preselection is not implemented in DMXControl 3 yet. But to understand why you search for this functionality, maybe you can explain a little bit more about your setup (theater, disco etc.) and what you want to do. If I can understand your situation, maybe I can show you the way it is intended to be done in DMXControl 3 :)

Regards

JP

im Falle eines Falles klebt Gaffa einfach alles, denn Gaffa ist dein Freund und Helfer :thumbup:

Edited once, last by JPK ().

• Sorry for the delay in reply.

So we need a save all as if I programme a whole show, then want to change or edit lights (speaking from DMX 2) if I didnt save all, then because it only saved changes, if I edited a cue, the next cue would realise and would only change values based on the original value. So for example I programme a light at 50% for cue 1,2 and 3 originally. I decide actually on cue 2 I need it on 100%. When I then go to cue 3, as originally there was no change, it doesnt change it as its expecting it to still be 50%

• Qasi - so i've tried pressing shift and it adds the cue straight away rather than load the options page. Does that means it is saving every value? So if I have 300 channels in my setup, it will save all 300 every time, regardless of whether they change of not?

That's perfect if it does :)

• That's perfect if it does

Unfortunatelly it doesn't. When you open the Filter (not pressing shift), you see that only the Values that have changed since the last save are ticked, only those will be saved. All the Shift button does is omit the Filter, it's like directly pressing OK without changing anything. So if you set 300 in the 1st cue, all of the 300 are saved. If you then only change a few and save again, only the values of those few will be saved.

EDIT: There is actually a global setting that you can change to disable this behavior. Unfortunatelly it is not available via the UI. You need to find the "GuiConfig.xml" file in the DMXControl Profile Path, open it and add a Setting:

Code
        <TreeItem Name="GUI.PROGRAMMER.TRACKED_PROGRAMMING">
          <Attribute Name="Value" Type="Primitive" ValueType="String" Value="False" />
        </TreeItem>
  • Yes if you add the Setting everything in Programmer will be saved by default. And no you dont need to adapt in case of an update.

I think this is not yet what Scott is trying to achieve. He always wants to store all properties of all devices, regardless of if they actually changed. I don't think this is currently supported.

Stefan

• Hi Stefan Krupop

That is exactly right. I'm suprised it isn't a feature that included - I dont know it would take a huge amount to add this as an option, and I really dont understand how people cope without it - I know I cant upgrade to Version 3 without.

Who would be a good person to talk to to suggest this - I'm hoping it isn't something that would require much additional work,

Scott

• Qasi Why what?

I think I've explained above why I really need the feature, which bit haven't I explained properly?

"So we need a save all as if I programme a whole show, then want to change or edit lights (speaking from DMX 2) if I didnt save all, then because it only saved changes, if I edited a cue, the next cue would realise and would only change values based on the original value. So for example I programme a light at 50% for cue 1,2 and 3 originally. I decide actually on cue 2 I need it on 100%. When I then go to cue 3, as originally there was no change, it doesnt change it as its expecting it to still be 50%"

• Remember: so far a device is not includes to a cue, and tracking is disabled, it will always go back to its default values (dimmer off, shutter closed, color white) when running the following cue in this cuelist.

So when you disable the tracking inside the cuelist and after the first cue is nothing stored in the following cues, you will have no output on your devices (so far all DDFs are right). And when there is in cue 100 (after 98 empty cues) one device stored to set the dimmer on 100%, only this device will turn on at the time, when the cue 100 is been started by you. It's a basic behaviour of DMXControl 3 in the non-tracking mode with the most important feature, that you don't need to save every value of all devices in your cues. In my option, it's more easier to see, where a important value for your show is set, when only these devices are included the cue, they are needed at exactly this point.

• The programming behind DMXC3 is very well thought through. Why would you save every Parameter, if you can also just save the interesting, the changed settings. This comes in very handy, if you search for a mistake in your lightshow, because you can skip searching through all the saved data, but instead you just look at it and directly see your mistake

Regards

Johannes

• JohannesStroe - not really sure the points your making. I'm telling you what I do, you saying you don't doesn't solve my issue in any way? Saying I have the problem again doesnt solve the issue, unless you tell me how you would deal with the specific issue I've mentioned.

LightningBrothers Thank you for your explanation - its helpful and I think it potentially solves my issue. So if I turn tracking off, then DMX Control will assume every value is 0, unless when I save the cue, the light is on, in which case it stores that value.

So in my example, in a very basic way, if I have:

Cue 1: Lights, 2, 3 and 7 on

Cue 2: Lights 2, 3 and 8 on

Cue 3: Lights 1, 3 and 7 on

The without tracking, DMX Control will still send a signal to light/channel 3 every time to tell it to stay on? It won't just ignore channel 3 as it doesnt change? If thats the case, that solves my issue. If it isn't, won't I still have the problem that if I need to change Cue 2, and remove Light 3, then when it saved it will have only saved the changes between cue 1 and cue 2, so therefore it wont tell 3 to turn off.

Qasi Thank you as above... I think tracking may be the thing I've missed previously :)

• Qasi This is what I need, does tracking solve this (I have copied this from the DMX Control Manual - so clearly a lot of users did need this in V2)

Die Auswahl sollte wohlüberlegt sein. Wenn mehrere Szenen gleichzeitig ablaufen sollen, dürfen Kanäle nur in maximal einer der entsprechenden Szenen ausgewählt sein. Auf der anderen Seite sollte für Theateranwendungen möglichst alle Dimmerkanäle gespeichert werden, damit jede Szene zu jedem Zeitpunkt unabhängig von allen anderen Szenen gestartet werden kann und sich somit immer das selbe Szenenbild ergibt. Hierfür ist die Funktion [Alle Speichern (nicht empfohlen].

• Regarding your example, you will have the following output:

Cue Tracking Non-Tracking
    Cue 1
    Lights 2, 3 and 7 on
    Lights 2, 3 and 7 on
    Cue 2
    Lights 2, 3, 7 and 8 on
    Lights 2, 3 and 8 on, light 7 off
    Cue 3
    Lights 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8 on
    Lights 1, 3 and 7 on, lights 2 and 8 off

If you want to turn off some lights in tracking mode with the cue 4, you need only to store "lights 2, 3 and 7 off" in this cue. When you do this, only lights 1 and 8 will stay on when the cue 4 will execute.

Just try it by yourself - you can already see it ate the stage view, so you don't need any real device. :)

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.