Can't add custom DDF

• Hi, I'm trying to learn how to make custom DDFs and have been looking at and copying from the files that come with the program. I've made a new file for the device and it shows up in the device manager in DMXC 3.0 but when I click to add it nothing happens. Is there something else I have to do then just put the file in the folder. Also is there any manual for writing DDF files. As in coding them with a text editor? I'd appreciate any help.

• Hi and welcome in the forum,
    when DMXC 3 will not load a DDF, there is a fault in it. But there is an easy way to finde out, where the problem is. Just open the logging module (help => Logs) where DMXC shows all internal messages. There should be some warnings/errors which tell you, why DMXC could not load your DDF.
    Best regards
    JP

• Thanks for the tip. I was able to check the log and with that search this forum to find a solution to the problem. "Luckily" someone had had the same problem before. The reason was that I added a colorwheel to a RGB device apparently. I haven't got the fixture here so I can test it right now, but at least now I can add the device in the program. The DDF should have all the functions I need now, but I might as well ask, since I'm trying to learn this. What can I use instead of colorwheel on a RGB device? The fixture has one channel who has color macros. Is this even possible?

• Hi,
    there is no solution for a RGB-system with a additional "colorwheel" yet. But you can use a RAWSTEP-Channel. With it, you can define those colors as macro-steps and select them in DMXC3 in a separate Property Grid entry. Indeed DMXC3 doesn't know, that you select a predefined color. So DMXC 3 doesn't show you the current color of your fixture if you use those macros.
    Best regards
    JP

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.